Contact our debt recovery specialists. Call 0141 331 2332Please note, we may record calls for monitoring and training purposes.

Judgment Enforcement – Knowing Your Options

Pre-judgment Remedies


What should you do if your debtor has money or moveables being held by a third party (such as shares or an insurance policy)? Arrestment could be the answer. Third party arrestment prevents the third party from paying the money to your debtor. Instead, these funds can be used to settle the outstanding debt owed to you. Or, alternatively, you could try bank arrestment. If you know the debtor’s bank account details, an arrestment can be placed on the account to pay the outstanding debt.


Inhibition prevents a debtor from selling or transferring his or her heritable property (such as land, houses or commercial properties). It also prevents the debtor from securing any new loans against the property. Since it affects all properties - as opposed to a specific address - it can be particularly effective. 


Post-judgment Remedies

There are many different ways of recovering debt after a judgment has been made. We will always tailor our approach to use the enforcement method that best suits your circumstances. Here are a few options available:


This is the first stage of the enforcement process. Once decree (judgment) is granted, Sheriff Officers visit the debtor and leave a formal demand for payment of the money owed (with interest and expenses) within 14 days. If the debtor fails to pay, further action can be taken.

Attachment Order

If you have no other way of recovering the debt, you can apply to the court to force the sale of the debtor’s moveable property (for example, boats or motor vehicles). The Sheriff Officers will make an inventory of the debtor’s assets and arrange to sell them at auction. The net price for the goods auctioned will then be paid to you to help settle the outstanding debt. This approach is often best suited to small debts of up to a few thousand pounds, but it can also be used for larger debts too.

Exceptional Attachment Order

If a debtor has goods stored in their house (a consumer debtor), you can apply for the removal of the goods to be auctioned or sold to pay off the outstanding debt. However, the court will ask for evidence that other enforcement procedures have failed to settle the debt.

Earnings Arrestment

This is an order from the courts to the debtor’s employer instructing them to pay a regular amount to you from their salary. This can only happen if the debtor is an individual and his or her employer is known. The earnings arrestment will stay in place until the debt is cleared but there is a limit on how much can be taken, and this is dependent on the debtor’s salary.

Contact Our DEBT RECOVERY Lawyers

Call us on 0141 331 2332
Please let us know your first name.
Please let us know your last name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know your enquiry.
Sign up to our Updates and Events
Invalid Input


Contact our debt recovery specialists.Call 0141 331 2332

Stay in touch with Yuill + Kyle

Legal changes can have a dramatic impact on you and your business. To ensure you are kept up to date with the latest developments and have the knowledge to make timely, effective decisions, please sign up for our free updates.